Young carers speaking to an audience at the "Shaping Our Future" eventEach carer’s situation is unique. We provide the information below as general guidance, but please speak to us or to a legal advisor if you would like more information about your particular situation. If you feel you are being treated unfairly under the law please contact us so we can support you with any comments or complaints you wish to make. We help you know your rights and make sure that your voice is heard, so that you are able to clearly explain how you feel about things, what you need, or why you feel something should be changed.

This Accessing Public Services Toolkit from Cerebra aims to support disabled people and carers, as well as their families and advisers, who are encountering difficulties with the statutory agencies in relation to the provision of health, social care and education support services. This toolkit aims to unpick these problems and to develop effective strategies for resolving them.

The pieces of legislation presented below pertain to carers’ rights in Wales:

  • Carers Strategies (Wales) Measure 2010
    From 2012 onwards, Local Health Boards and local authorities/social services will have a duty to produce local information and consultation strategies for carers.
  • Work and Families Act 2006
    Part 12 of this act gives carers the right to ask for flexible working arrangements. This could include altering an employee’s arriving and leaving times, allowing working hours to be compressed or annualised, access to a phone, or granting emergency leave. The request must be put in writing and show it does not harm the business. Be aware that another arrangement may be offered, and this should be a dialogue between employee and employer. The text of the Work and Families Act 2006 is available here.
  • Carers and Disabled Children Act 2000
    This act makes provision for the assessment of carers’ needs, in order to provide services to help carers, and the making of direct payment to carers and disabled children 16 or 17 years old, in lieu of provision of services to them, and for connected purposes. The text of the Carers and Disabled Children Act 2000 is available here.
  • Carers (Recognition and Services) Act 1995
    This Act puts a duty on the local authority (social services department) to carry out a Carer’s Assessment as part of its community care assessment, if the carer “provides or intends to provide a substantial amount of care on a regular basis”. The carer can request an assessment and the local authority must take this into account when deciding on the services to be offered for the cared-for person. The text of the Carers (Recognition and Services) Act 1995 is available here.
  • Disabled Persons (Services, Consultation and Representation) Act 1986