Celebrating the invisible unsung heroes in our families and communities – Young and Adult Carers
National Carers Week (10th – 16th June 2019) – Free Events throughout Powys
There are over 1000 young people, and approx. 16,000 adults in Powys who are looking after a family member or friend who is ill or disabled. All around us in every community, school, place of work there are people who are looking after someone they love; the biggest, most significant thing that anyone can do for anyone else, yet it can go unrecognised and be very challenging, impacting on how Young Carers achieve at school and their life chances. From an adult Carers perspective, it can often be a struggle looking after their own health and/or juggling work.
Sophie Gibbs, a Carer from Llandrindod Wells said ‘Communities and local organisations need to know about how challenging it is to be a Carer. It can literally be life changing. I had to give up my work to support my partner. However, as a Carer, I still have dreams and aspirations and that’s really important. Never give up and just know that there is support out there and people you can talk to. Carers Week is such an important time to celebrate what Carers achieve and to connect with other Carers. I’m getting involved with the Pop Up Picnic event in Llandrindod, which we hope will build more awareness about caring.’ See attached image of Sophie with Credu Teddy.
Carers Week is an annual campaign to raise awareness of caring, highlight the challenges unpaid Carers face and celebrate the contributions that they make to families and communities throughout Powys as well as the wider UK. It also helps people who don’t think of themselves as having caring responsibilities to identify as Carers and access much-needed support. This month, we are inviting Carers, services and businesses in the community to come together during Carers Week and celebrate the vital contribution made by Carers in Powys.
If you look after someone or know someone who does, Credu are hosting key events to take place all over Powys throughout Carers Week 2019, celebrating the amazing contributions that Carers make in the lives of loved ones and friends.
The following free events are taking place in Powys to mark Carers Week 10th to 16th of June 2019:
Monday 10th June
- Information stand at Tesco, Ystradgynlais 11:00 – 17:00.
- Pamper Day, Elephant and Castle, Newtown 10:00 to 15:30.
Tuesday 11th June
- Carers Coffee Morning, The Care Centre, Machynlleth 10:30 – 12:00
- Coffee and Information Morning, The Guildhall, Brecon 10:00 to 13:00
- Coffee Morning and Awareness Raising at County Hall 12:00 to 14:00
- Coffee Morning, Llanfair Caereinion Library 11:00 – 13:00
Wednesday 12th June
- Pamper Day, The Manor, Crickhowell 10.00 to 15:00.
- Information Stand at Co-Op, Builth Wells, 10:00 – 16:00.
Thursday 13th June
- Parent Carers Afternoon Tea, Y Plas, Machynlleth 13:30 – 15:30 (Call Mandy Dean to book at 07976 906975).
- Pamper Day, The Metropole, Llandrindod Wells 10:00 to 15:00.
Friday 14th June
- Canal Trip, Welshpool 11:00 – 14:00.
- Opening of Ystrydgynlais Hub, Ystradgynlais 10:00 – 15:00.
Saturday 15th June
- Buskagynlais in Ystradgynlais, all day
- Pop up Picnic, Llandrindod, 11:00 – 16:00.
Please contact Credu for information about these events in support of Carers Week.
Call us on 01597 823800. Facebook: ‘Credu Connecting Carers’.
Credu is funded by Powys County Council, Powys teaching Health Board, donors and other funders to enable Young Carers and Adult Carers to get the most out of life with information, advice, emotional support, peer groups as well as timeout from caring.